Hush Little Extraordinary Twins

The first thing I noticed about googling Pudd’nhead Wilson is that Google will argue with itself and you over the correct spelling.

I poked around and found that there were two Pudd’nhead Wilson movies; one in 1986 that was made for television and the other in 1916. I would’ve loved to find some archaic youtube clip, but alas that isn’t possible. Instead, the only videos available for Pudd’nhead Wilson are high school English projects. Interestingly enough, all of them are prefaced with the disclaimer “This isn’t very good.”

Anyway, one of the high school projects is a stop-motion commerical for Pudd’nhead Wilson featuring miniature Raggedy Ann baby dolls. But what I found interesting about the video was the music the student picked to go along with it. It’s very eerie and without having read even the back of my Norton edition, it makes me think that Pudd’nhead Wilson has a serial killer in it. You know nothing good is ever going to come out of a commercial with a girl singing “Hush Little Baby” in it over a cradle with two innocent dolls in it–and listen to the song closely; if my mind isn’t playing tricks on me, then the commercial ends on a particularly…chilling note.

[kml_flashembed movie="http://www.youtube.com/v/_9pTXdjnVOw" width="425" height="350" wmode="transparent" /]

One Response to “Hush Little Extraordinary Twins”

1. Richards says:

As I hope we’ll see, the creepiness–and this video, I agree, is effing creepy–is appropriate. Twain’s already dark humor was only intensifying at this point in his life. Moreover, from a privileged white and post-Civil War position, he didn’t have to work within the genre restraints of the slave narrative and sentimental fiction to discuss slavery, which makes for a pretty cynical novel.