Southern Stereotypes

Okay, first I have to admit that I am running out of title ideas for these posts. I never liked titling my papers either. Second, I am actually posting this cause I’m taking a study break and I’m tired slugging through 16 different authors between 2 literature classes.Third, I need more posts as well, though I don’t know how many.

Though because I am studying, I’ve been thinking a lot about the first day of class when we each gave a southern stereotype. It’s funny how some of the pieces of literature we read confirmed those, and some did not. Think Anse Bundren and no teeth, I believe that was one of ours. And Blanche was definitely not the classy little southern girl she tried to be.

I wish I had written down our list because I think it would have beneficial, but here’s a post that I found online that talks about them. Maybe it will provide some comic relief to your studying.

4 Responses to “Southern Stereotypes”

1. Stephanie says:

Oh and I almost forgot, it can’t be Southern Stereotype without Jeff Foxworthy (plus it’s the holidays).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJOe3CXE-mA

2. Meg Baker says:

I’m also sad that I didn’t write down the stereotype list. I remember it was lengthy and quite entertaining.

3. hokiepride81 says:

I’d say a big reason why we did that on the first day (aside from it being entertaining) was because the novels we read had a lot to do with tearing down a lot of the old constructs of the South. We tackled gender, race and class, and all three of those factor heavily into southern culture.

I’d be willing to say that first day of class was actually a lot more educational than we gave it credit for.

4. jonathonbridgeman says:

The first day of class did a lot to set up the overall vibe of the class as being silly with undertones of seriousness, which I think is either just Richards’ style or it was totally on purpose and meant to be an overarching look at what stereotypes largely mean in the context of literature.