Misogyny and Sexism in SND

As you all will read in my paper for tomorrow, I focused on the violence and sexuality in A Streetcar Named Desire. When reading the play, this jumped out at me for two reasons: firstly, the play is obviously riddled with male-domination and sexual power; secondly, I have been studying misogyny and sexism for another class’s final paper.  While looking for sources (on both papers) I found most readers feel that if a text has misogynistic/sexist characters or ideas in it, then the author of that text is, by default, a mysogynist/sexist.  I wanted to open it up for discussion now, as well as tomorrow, on whether or not you agree with this idea.

I personally do not believe that an author only writes misogyny and sexism into their work if they too hold these beliefs and prejudices.

Also, for clarification, sexism is attitudes or behaviors based on traditional stereotypes of sexual roles, or a devaluation and descrimination based on these stereotypes. Misogyny is a hatred, distrust, or dislike of women, and is generally violent.