William Faulkner was a Man Slut

So here’s my second post ripping into Faulkner.  I was doing a little bit of Wikipedia research into him and I couldn’t help but notice his colorful and patchy relationships with women.  In class, we mentioned his complicated relationship with his wife, Estelle, since he was the (slighted?) second husband.  However, he had a number of extramarital affairs.  But most of these weren’t really flings, but full-blown relationships that lasted a couple of years.  Wikipedia (yeah, I know, Wikipedia) lists five total.  Yet it sounds like Faulkner & Oldham stuck it out, which makes me curious about the dynamics of their relationship; I haven’t found anything conclusive just on the Internet.  Although from this biographical information it seems as if Faulkner had complex and curious relationship with women.

Tags: ,

2 Responses to “William Faulkner was a Man Slut”

1. Richards says:

Faulkner did indeed have multiple extramarital affairs, but, especially when placed within the context of other high modernist writers, his sexual escapades were fairly benign. (That they were “affairs” may add to the relatively conservative nature of them.) If you feel like “ripping” in this arena, you might sniff around Hemingway and Fitzgerald for heterosexual interactions and Hart Crane for homosexual ones. For contemporary women who indulged this same sort of sexual lifestyle, check out Katherine Anne Porter and Zora Neale Hurston.

2. RhinestoneintheRough says:

Yeah, I thought about all the other slutty writers when I was writing this but I decided to post it anyway because I was already in attack mode after I did the blog about Faulkner in the military