Lets stick to the facts

I found these articles trying to understand Faulkner’s state of mind while he wrote his prize winning literature.  First I came across This Article where a psychologist, Dr. Ian Smith, explains that drugs and alcohol’s effect on creativity is a myth, and that:

“The American writers Tennessee Williams and Ernest Hemingway were addicted to alcohol, said Dr Smith, speaking at a Royal College of Psychiatrists meeting in Edinburgh. The poets Coleridge and Keats took opiates, as did the writers Proust and Edgar Allan Poe, while the painter Vincent van Gogh drank the potent spirit absinthe, he added.  The American writers F Scott Fitzgerald, Eugene O’Neill and William Faulkner all received the Nobel Prize for Literature and all were alcoholics, said Dr Smith.”

So obviously, according to practical science, it has no positive effect, all these artists just happened to use drugs and alcohol coincidentally.  Furthering his claim that “When you try and capture the experiences [triggered by drugs or alcohol] they are often nonsense. These drugs often wipe your memory, so it’s hard to remember how you were in that state of mind.”

The second article, which I found hilarious, is a Faulkner “article” in the Uncyclopedia.  Here Faulkner is placed under the lens of pop culture.  Here you can find quotes like:
“In Soviet Russia, barn burns You!”
William Faulkner on Russian Reversal
“Poor Faulkner, does he really thinking big emotions come from big words?”
Ernest Hemingway on William Faulkner

Im quite sure these quotes are not true as they are not cited, but it is still a funny article to me.  The disclaimer at the bottom states “This article is funny because it is written in the real or imagined writing style of its subject.”  So be aware.

One Response to “Lets stick to the facts”

1. Richards says:

I wasn’t aware of the Uncyclopedia, but, as Jake asserts, it’s worth a look since it’s a parody of Wikipedia and the entry on Faulkner is written in parody of the technique of As I Lay Dying. In particular, look at the faux Faulkner titles, especially for those of you who had the humor class. Repetition with slight variation to construct double entendre, anyone? Anyone? Bueller?