A Horrible Holiday Intrusion

As from the time I write this blog, a recent explaination from Richards about the character Anse interested me. In explaining some of the character’s characteristics, the description of Anse’s mooching tendencies were notable, especially how Anse’s false teeth would improve his ability to “take in” food. In other words, Anse posses what may be described as a vampire-like nature, in which he feeds off the other characters–especially his children–for his own benefit. Now, I could go on to list traditional (or at least, prevailing) vampiric features that could be applied to Anse and then justify my claims with more ramblings. (I’m sure you’d love that.) But the focus on the false teeth seems most promising: While the now cliche feature of sucker fangs is found in the classic Vamp fic text of Stroker’s Dracula and Rymer’s Varney the Vampire, in the folkloric version prominent teeth as such are found lacking and it wasn’t until Christopher Lee donned the Drac cape that the mainstream film version got orally armed in 1958.* While the holiday parasites still can be found without fangs among fiction, film and whatever, I find it interesting how a characteristic can define a character or, rather, a character-type. After all, Anse spent most of the text toothless where he did most of the mooching–the false teeth were the aim of his endless taking.

On that joyful note, try to enjoy the rest of your Halloween! 😀

* Earlier films such as the infamous “Nosferatu”, a Turkish take of Dracula and a girl/vamp version of “I Was A Teenage Werewolf” called “Blood of Dracula” have included fangs but they aren’t counted here because of the kicker word “mainstream” and the fact that the former two weren’t even available to the American film audience, to whom the archetype mainly developed.

Source: “The Vampire Book: The Encyclopedia of the Undead” by J. Gordon Melton, Visible Ink Press, 1994

2 Responses to “A Horrible Holiday Intrusion”

1. Richards says:

A vampiric Anse is actually fascinating to me, and I think one can easily extend this reading, especially when one uses Sundquist’s preoccupation with liminal spaces between life and death.

2. semilunatic says:

Thank you. That prospect is rather tempting. I have a rather disconserting weakeness for vampire fiction and literary criticism (you bet it exists) but don’t worry–I greatly dislike a certain “crepuscular” fiction with a vengence and the genre of “paranormal romance” with a great critical squint.