Our Trajectory thus far…

Poe, Douglass, Jacobs, and soon, Twain.

Thus far, I haven’t really seen anything that grossly draws us back to that board we wrote at the beginning of the course. I feel that we have explored slavery from a variety of facets, but in terms of the south that we know as rural, nationalists, individualists, what have we gathered. perhaps pudd’n head has something worthwhile, and Richards did say he is trying to break down our stereotypical notions of the south.

This makes me think of a larger point, that the south is only a construction, that the south, as reflected by our readings this far, is not the stable identity that we refer to and employ in everyday conversation. Moreover, the south is constructed by another entity, probably the north.

We get images of southern construction, but maybe a stronger inquiry towards to the north is warranted. Race studies often target whiteness as a cite where inequalities and identities are produced. why should the north be any different.

furthermore, it might be worthwhile to explore the reasons why the north constructs the south as such. (further texts may offer this). My reasoning for this models the work of said’s orientalism, where the desires of the west went into the construction of the east. My guess is that the desires of the north may have had something to do with the construction of the south, and that this may have implicated things like slavery or ruralism in the south.

One Response to “Our Trajectory thus far…”

1. Stephen says:

One of the potential reasons we don’t get that view of the south we established in the beginning of class is the fact that we’re reading books that were meticulously thought out and selected to be apart of THE CANON. That being said, there are going to be limitations on what we see since we are receiving a relatively limited view of what is “southern literature.” The canon is established with a certain goal or criteria in mind. That which is selected into the canon is just used to further what is important to the literary circle nominating the work into it’s position in the canon. And of course, because we’re reading works that were created before the 1850’s we’re not going to get the Walmarts, Waffle Houses, and NASCAR fans. However, I wonder if by the end of this survey we’ll be able to draw a line from slavery to post-slavery to the economic enslavement by these establishments (Walmart, Waffle House, etc.)