Poe in Popular Culture

Using everyone’s favorite 140-characters or less medium, John Cusack announced that he will be playing Edgar Allan Poe in a cinematic adaptation of The Raven: “officiali- will play edgar allen poe in fall-a-film called the raven, send any poe- gold – my way as i begin this journey into the abyss (4:06 AM Aug 27th via TweetDeck).” (Also, because John Cusack tweets from his iPhone where his spelling is fast and loose, with no spellcheck, if you don’t like spelling errors, he will block u–paraphrased from his Twitter page, which you may read at your own risk).

An article in today Entertainment Weekly, focusing on a round-up of this weekend’s non-Emmy news, linked to this article which describes The Raven project in more detail. The article also mentions, interestingly, that before John Cusack was selected to play Poe, Joaquin Phoenix and Ewan McGregor were in negotiations to play Poe, and Budapest is going to be Baltimore in 1849. Jeremy Renner (from The Hurt Locker) was supposed to play the detective but he left the project to play second fiddle to Tom Cruise in a Mission: Impossible reboot.

3 Responses to “Poe in Popular Culture”

1. Richards says:

Even with Meganne’s warning in mind, I have to say it: at least learn to spell the historical figure you’re portraying correctly.

2. julianna says:

I am surprised at his lack of dedication to his character, then again, I’m not surprised.

3. RhinestoneintheRough says:

“The story is set in the last five days of Poe’s life in which he is forced to partner with a detective in search of a serial killer who has kidnapped Poe’s fiancé and has gone on a spree of murders that mimics the author’s work”

Seriously? This movie sounds RIDICULOUS. Although, Hollywood has never hesitated before to re-write history for the sake of entertainment. And I can see old, lumpy-faced Cusack playing Poe. They’ve both seen better days

Case in point:

“Cusack, repped by CAA, last starred in “Hot Tub Time Machine.”

But he should work on his spelling if he really wants to get into character. It kind of implies a low level of commitment to your role. Or maybe just a low level of intelligence. In any case, attention to detail is important. They don’t give out Oscars to the brain-dead